Monday 17 January 2011

Keep Calm and Carry On




One part of my regular morning routine is to consult the I-Ching. I've done this for about four years, and I find that it gives me a certain amount of spiritual grounding each morning and sets me in the right frame of mind for the day ahead.

Sometimes the advice can feel generic and ambiguous, whilst at other times it can appear poignant and identify something before I've even realised it myself.

This morning was one of these mornings. The I-Ching advised the following, "This symbolism indicates that we must put ourself in proper order through achieving clarity, which enables us to be strong enough to overcome the dangers threatening our perseverance."

Until I read this, I hadn't noticed the danger to my perseverance, but then I realised the doubt and lack of effort that was creeping in.

I've been meaning to re-format my manuscript for a week now and that's still not been completed. Also, after I've done that I've not planned anything to come up next.

I'm pretty sure that the only way that I'm going to achieve the eventual goal that I'm trying to get to is through a large amount of effort. So, I need to reawaken the hunger and plan some things that I'll look forward to.

I need to look for premises for my change work, I need to get started on the website for this as well, and I also need to collate a list of Literary Agents in order to send the manuscript to.

But maybe more importantly I need to find the time in my day to be able to do this work. First thing in the morning is a great time for the blog. I really enjoy doing this every day, and it also acts as a catalyst for the day as well, a bit like the I-Ching in that way, it helps me keep the crap bit of the day, when it arrives, in perspective.

So, I need to work in the evenings instead, and this is where the challenge is. When I get home from work, and then had dinner with the kids (hopefully), and then washed them and put them to bed, and quickly tidied up, I sit down and the last thing I feel like is doing something. That's the point where my body naturally shuts down.

I'll begin to set myself a goal each night when I'm coming home from work that I need to get finished before I can switch off. I find that I'm ok until I stop and then there's no chance of starting up again.

Tonight is the re-formatting of the manuscript.

On another note, yesterday I met a few people for the first time. People that Claire knew through the kids. Two thoughts came to mind.

Firstly, when I was explaining our plan for this year to others for the first time, in a nutshell, it really sounded unrealistic. So many things happening at once, and all of them involving some kind of leap of faith. But, these are the moments of doubt that need to be eradicated, so I don't intend to fuel these thoughts any longer.

Secondly, the fact that we have met new people, that were nice by the way, and just round the corner from us, could be perceived as unlucky. Just as we're moving away we finally meet people that are in rolling distance from the house. But this has given me more confidence of meeting nice people when we finally move to the Isle of Wight. Once again we have met people in a similar boat to us because we are now effectively in a minority. We'll still be in this minority when we move and therefore the opportunity to meet people is much greater. That is a comfort to both Claire and I as our minds wander that way.


Location:The Ave,Alderley Edge,United Kingdom

No comments: