Thursday 17 February 2011

I Can't Get No... Satisfaction




Frustration, frustration, frustration. That's what I'm talking about. It just seems at the moment that everything that needs to happen is out of my hands, and I can't get a result out of any of it.

I'm aware that this puts me firmly on the Effect side of the equation, the side where people reside when they constantly bemoan the luck they've had, or the lack of opportunity in life, and that they're just a victim of fortune. I know that in order to make things happen in your life you must place yourself on the Cause side, but that takes unerring belief in the course that you have set in motion and patience is required to stay on until the end.

There are two parts at the moment, big parts, that I'm waiting to develop. The first is the sale of the house and the second is a clear promise of redundancy from work.

Both of these have gone on for years and both are integral to moving down to the Isle of Wight and setting up a new life down there. On the house front, at least since we've had it on the market again since the new year we have had a trickle of viewings, each week maybe an average of one speculator. Still no interest but at least we're in the numbers game with that one.

On the subject of redundancy I must sit tight and hold for the decisions of others to manifest. I have influenced as much as I can and I fear that any further influencing will actually count against me. It will look as though I'm trying to fail the project (which of course I am) and this will undoubtedly damage my worth when it comes to the powers that be making a decision.

The situation is rocky at best. let me recap;

- The project is divided into two parts
- the first part is concentrating on Group level systems
- the second part is concentrating on Local systems
- So far the team has concentrated solely on part one.
- the entire project should have ended by the end of 2010 at the latest
- currently the entire implementation will wind up in the middle of 2012
- we are re-locating in August/September 2011
- I need the second part de-scoping from the whole in order to provide a clear division of projects and provide me with an opportunity to be displaced.
- If this does not happen then the best I can hope for is the specific part that I'm involved with finishing by the summer and convincing the leadership that I'm not needed for the duration.
- Both exit strategies will boil down to others being nice to me because legally they don't have to do anything.
- This is the reason why I believe that if I do my part then at least I have more chance of them performing their part fairly.

For all of this to happen I must first wait for the, much anticipated, 2011/12 plan to be released. This is being drafted at the moment and has taken six weeks so far with no obvious conclusion still yet. Once this is out in the public domain, it then gives me license to begin discussions with the necessary people about how my personal plans fit into it.

There has also just been an announcement that the guy on the top of the pile is moving to another job and is being replaced. I don't know yet what impact this could have on my outcome, but it's involved somehow.

I know that what is needed is patience and belief that this will all work out in the appropriate time, and be open to the opportunities as they appear and seize them. The temptation to force things because they're not happening quickly enough is the obvious move, but it's one that will certainly damage things and jeopardise it ever happening at all.

This is a test for me to exhibit in practice the lessons that I've learnt, and to put myself on the Cause side of the equation. The easy route would be to think that I could influence matters that I can't and pour oil on flames. The more measured approach is the one that I'm following but this is not so natural to me at this stage and requires a degree of conscious determination.

The rock that fights against the flowing water never moves and stands proud and strong, but gets nowhere; the twig that moves with the water and accepts the course that is laid in front of him will eventually get to the ocean.

Hmmm... think on. At least if everything else fails I could become a Taoist philosopher.


Location:Alderley Edge,United Kingdom

No comments: