Tuesday 22 February 2011

Chariots of Fire




Throughout time there has always been a dependency on one's mode of transport. Back in Ancient Rome, Caecilius was always whinging about his chariot; then there was the old nag that transported Ethelred from Bosley to York; what about the dodgy wheel on the cart of Master Sidebottom the Butcher; and the back firing monstrosity that used to be run around at the weekends by Cuthbert Digglesbury between the wars.

There's no doubt about it, throughout history there has always been a love - hate relationship with transport. In today's age the car is the preferred choice of champions, and our reliance on such machines is no different.

This brings me round to my particular problem at the moment. A problem in which I know the answer to but it's still not reassuring. My car has been in the garage over the weekend because there's been a fault with the off-side door control motor. Aaahh, yes, the old offside door control motor, I hear you say. That old chestnut!

I didn't know what one of those was either, but I do now, after £600 worth of education. It controls the electrics in the said door, and it took four hours worth of diagnostics to find the problem. Of course, back in the day of horses, it either had a leg or not, there wasn't any need for a diagnostics check.

So the question now is, could this be the beginning of the end for my cherished car? I have had it from a baby, and I've watched it grow up through the years without a hitch. One careful owner, me, and a knowledge of all the nicks and scratches and the story that follows each one.

However, could this be the beginning. Will it start to fall apart now, as it nears car middle age, or will it be a trojan that lives on to a ripe old age of even ten years!!

I'd like to sell it now and not buy another car. Live off one car for the family, bank the money, and get trains etc to get around. When we move to the Isle of Wight the need eventually for two cars will be extravagant, but there may well be a requirement in the early days.

But the reason that I cannot do this is because of Sophie. If I knew that I wouldn't have an over average amount of emergencies to attend then I would take the risk, but because I will always need to get somewhere quickly then I'll always need wheels.

So, once this factor is realised then the other question naturally is, would it be better to get a new second hand car? This is an immediate, no, as I wouldn't know the history of it and it could always be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire.

There's no other thing for it than to hold on for six months to a year and hope that it holds together.

I wonder how long Caecilus' chariot lasted...


Location:Chapel Rd,Alderley Edge,United Kingdom

No comments: