Friday 19 March 2010

Catch 22 - Take 2

Just a quick update to mention that the proposed shift of work from me to some other poor insignificant has been completed. There were no problems at all with the request. I had positioned it in a way that hopefully did not sound like bleating but had reasoned justification to it. I now have to work on a transition plan to move it over but after that, it will definitely free up more time.

It proves how it is possible to take a little bit of control back even when working for an oil tanker. One thing that probably, in fact, is easier to do in a bigger company. The benefit of anonymity.

The other unexpected reaction to this push back was that it has appeared to have increased my currency. I have had a lot more respect since and an understanding that I am in control of my piece. Although, the politics in my company are such that even if they didn't think much of it they wouldn't tell me. I couldn't care less about this side of it though.

I now need to start to concentrate on trying to identify, investigate and establish these income streams that I have talked about. The first step is therefore to identify possible options. I don't think I will find the perfect blend of options straight away. But, hopefully I can find enough suitable contenders that will give me the impetus to believe that this will work.

So, next entry will be a list of flexible roles, jobs, projects, activities, ways of life that excite me. A completely unrelated list of vocations that I have either always been interested in, or I think may suit me. Then I can rattle through them to work out if they are realistic or not.

No comments: