Friday 1 June 2007

A Tribute

This is a tribute to a man that has taught me so much about how to live, and the principles that are ultimately important. Although I only knew him for the final third of his life, he will have an impact on me for the whole of mine.

My Granddad had a humble beginning in life fighting for what he needed along with his older brothers. He then went and fought for his country in World War 2; and when he returned he then started fighting for his family, working hard jobs to support them and seeing that his children were brought up in the right way. In the last ten years he has been fighting the battle within, constantly keeping his health in check. I guess that he just got tired of fighting in the end, but in my eyes he was the Heavyweight Champion of the World.

My earliest memories of him, being cuddly and a safe place to be, never really changed. I have always thought of him as a rock that would always be there, right behind me in everything that I do, and basically a safe place that I could retreat to.

He once taught me how to organise a pile of cards in to a neat pack by jiggling them on a table, he once showed me how to make the perfect omelette, he showed me how to use the only tools that I still know how to use. He showed me how to grow vegetables in the garden, but to be honest I’ve forgotten all of that now. I only used to do it to spend time with just him in the garden.

All of these things are just trivial memories that I have but will always trigger thoughts of him in my own mind. The real lessons that he has taught me are the unmentioned ones. Just by being who he was and prioritising the important things in life, and not getting distracted by the noise that just doesn’t matter at the end of the day, is the real testimony that he has left me with. To have a big heart, and to be able to show it to the people that are in it.

I will always remember him.


Love, always.

No comments: