Saturday 1 May 2010

Portfolio Career - List of Options

The search for a portfolio career goes on, and I am now moving in to the arena of actually making some of these ideas a reality.

Through the analysis of my own preferences that I have been undertaking for a couple of weeks, I now have a relatively good understanding of the types of occupation that would interest me and are worth aiming for immediately. The fortunate thing of pursuing a portfolio career is that due to its flexible nature you can initiate part of the portfolio whilst still in a full time career.

Below is a list of some ideas that I brainstormed last week as potential candidates to put in to my portfolio. Some are for enjoyment, some are for money, some are for both. Some can be actioned straight away and some will require training or experience.

Freelance Journalist
Novelist
Parent/Husband
Social Economics Commentator
Actor
Phobia Therapist
Mentor
Life Coach
Tutor
Entrepreneur
Mystery Shopper
Extra
Director
Charity Management

Also, depending on where my life takes me, the other very real ambition that Claire and I have is to own a holiday let. It would be high-spec and be available and accessible to all. This means that it would also be able to cater for disabled families with specific requirements. This is a niche market but one that I would consider to be a largely unmet need currently. There would be large initial set up costs but then the maintenance and ongoing costs would look after themselves once established. This idea would also give us a rewarding feeling because of the families that we would be able to help.

So, this is the list so far. At the moment there are two jobs that I can and will strive for whilst still in full time employment. 1) Freelance Journalist 2) Novelist.

To answer number two first, I have finished the book and I now need to go through the edit before anyone else can even think about looking over it. I am ongoing with this and I aim to have it in much better shape by the summer.

To the freelance journalism end, I have bought a book on how to get started and make a success of it. So I shall see how successful the book is and comment on it after I have read it. My intention is to start earning money as soon as possible with this though, and get the ball rolling.

I will keep you up-to-date with progress on both of these things in the next post, and I will also be keeping my eye open for any other opportunities that are congruent with my other ambitions.

Remember, all great achievements and earnings of money started with an initial idea. Do not under estimate this phase of the revolution.

No comments: